Friday, July 18, 2008

Local vs Organic

I've recently had a difficult decision to make regarding my dairy products: is local better than nationally certified organic? Royal Crest Dairy is a Colorado company that will deliver to my house weekly for a cheaper price than store bought organic. I was told that while not certified organic, they are rBGH- and antibiotic-free and raised to organic standards. They are also pasturized, versus ultra-pasturized, which helps with my mozarrella making! My big question was animal treatment, and I was told that they can't let the dairy cows graze all day because they will get stomach aches from weeds, but the woman in charge "takes them out and pets them three times a day". Haha! So i know from the Cornicopia study that Organic Valley milk I currently buy is pretty good in regards to animal treatment and is purchasing milk from local farmers, but there is no such study done on small, local farms (that I know of). Maybe I need to take a field trip up to the farms, but I think seeing milk production in action, organic or not, might be disturbing. For now, I will give Royal Crest a try and hope that they are as good as Organic Valley. If nothing else, they reuse their bottles and now I have a milk man!

No comments: