Saturday, July 5, 2008

Oregon Sugar Pod Peas

Our Oregon Sugar Pod Peas have suddenly burst into production. The night we left town, I walked out and found a dozen 2 inch pods dangling off the vine where, earlier that morning, I swear there had been none. Returning a week later, there were dozens more and they are now 3 -4 inches long and bulging with peas! I've heard they taste just as delicious skinny with barely visible pods, or fat with plump peas, but I need to pick them soon, as the U of Illinois Extension Service says "Sugar snaps left on the vine too long begin to develop tough fiber in the pod walls." If anyone knows the best way to harvest these, please let me know. (How much of the stem, if any, do you pull off with the pea?) I don't know that we will have these with us for too much longer, given that they don't like summer heat, so we've got to enjoy them now! And I am definitely planning to try a fall crop.

PS - did anyone know that peas have been around since almost 10,000 BC?!! Check out the history of the pea.

No comments: